Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Building a Solid Workbench Addendum

One of the things everyone should have in their shop is a good solid work bench. I was getting by with a $40 Chinese made plastic topped banquet table that I got at Menard's, but soon after I put it together the overhang end started to gradually fold and collapse. Last week I knew something had given way because the end of my bookshelf was sagging badly.  The corner was folded under and fractured, and total collapse was imminent.

I built a workbench for the garage a month ago using the plans I found here and decided that it could be adapted to my particular space considerations. Although the plans call for rather tall legs and a long top, I made mine with 30 inch high legs and a 60 inch surface. You can adjust the dimensions any way you like to fit your particular needs and whether you plan to work standing up or sitting down.

For this kind of work it is better to attach the top with flush surface wood screws which I did. Then, if you like, you can attach a sheet of tempered masonite for hardness.

The biggest cost items are the Simpson Strong Tie RTC24 corner braces, which run nearly six dollars each. That puts you at about $55 with braces, hardware and a tube of construction adhesive. The Simpson people have been making structural connectors for wood structures since the 1950s and their products are good stuff. When you're done, you will have a very strong and rigid workbench or work table.

It takes a couple of hours to cut your lumber and put the bench together.

Here's a picture of the bench in use.

No comments:

Post a Comment