Sunday, January 1, 2017

Uncomplicating a jack swap on a Blues Junior

Every time someone asks me to get rid of one of those cheesy plastic input jacks on a Fender Blues Junior-or for that matter a Blues Deluxe, Hot Rod Deluxe, Devilles, Pro Juniors or any number of miscellaneous amps I always forget how it's done and have to go looking it up and wade through the dumpster that is the internet for that ".........OK. I remember now" moment.

The reason Fender uses them is simple-machine stuffing of circuit boards.

So here's a simplified drawing that will take you through it and remind me next time when I change the jack on my Pro Junior-which is a fun smallish amp.

We're looking at a 12A Switchcraft grounding jack, and two insulating washers from Mouser Electronics, a flat one and a stepped one. They insulate the jack from the chassis that way there aren't going to be any ground loops.

As always, check yourself and also me, make sure your amp is unplugged and the filter capacitors properly discharged. A test lead with an inline 100 ohm resistor will do fine for this chore. If you think it is beyond your range of normal competence, for crying out loud take it to a professional. There are three of us in the Des Moines area and all of us will serve you well.

For all that, 2016 was not a bad year overall, of course not mentioning politics. I dunno, the combination of social media, mass idiocy, and aggro rhetoric produced a perfect storm of sewage delivered right into my home that has left me cold. Some of the things I've seen people who claim to be adults give voice to were just that-liquid excrement. I've no interest in repeating the experience and I have terminated my association with them.

Racism and hatred has no place with me. Aside from being generally wrong, it takes up too much time that could be spent making music or helping others to make music.

I'm going to see what I can do to make my party more relevant, but in the meantime I shall stay close to the things I like to do and see and think about and let the other shit slide, along with the people who bought into it.

I think in 2017 a lot of people are going to find out they've been bamboozled and hornswoggled. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

No comments:

Post a Comment