Sunday, February 17, 2013

Another In A Series of "Close Cover Before Striking" Moments








This is a Weston Model 7145 bench digital multimeter which I obtained as sort of an homage to The Old Man, who'd worked for Weston about thirty years or so before the new owners, Schlumberger,  decided they didn't need him, or anyone else, or the factory and research labs in Newark New Jersey. He never got over it.

The picture, from 1906, didn't look all that different except that some of the slant roof glassed in assembly halls were removed to make way for a new office building in the 1940s I think.

But I digress. This was part of a line of digital test equipment that Weston introduced shortly before it's demise, and when it popped up new in the box on fleabay I had to have it. It was mine for about thirty dollars.

I powered it up the other day and saw in the display what you see-looking like missing parts of numerals. So today I decided to clean up the edge contacts on the LCD display. I took it apart enough to get access to the innards, popped the display out, squirted it full of juice and reinstalled it. It looked exactly the same. Then, some deep seated brain cell inside my head which had been waiting for this moment for years unleashed its voltage load to the mainframe and I stopped. A few minutes was spent looking for the manual-it's in my shop somewhere. At a loss, I turned the device over and there, as you see, are the display notes and rather than being 0009 with missing segments it reads ORNG-for range.

Good thing I was by myself and didn't have to answer to anyone for wasting an hour in another close cover before striking moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment