Saturday, March 10, 2018

Reverb Resuscitation














A friend of mine brought over a nice old Fender 6G15 outboard reverb unit today and as I had my nose slightly out of joint over other matters (social media drama) I hid out in the laboratory.

This friend has a knack for acquiring stuff on the cheap and this was no different. It had a bad habit of blowing fuses, and when it was brought up on the variac it was drawing about three times the normal current.

The fix was simple, and this seems to be my week for dodgy old electrolytics in power supplies.

A refresh of all the consumables and a new power cord and all was well.

I did find that it is susceptible to ground loops as it developed the granddaddy of a hum in the living room. I soon figured out that it was on a different circuit in the house. Plugging it into the same outlet as the Cowpoke quieted things down and it'll go home tomorrow or the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment